We are seeking a Legal Officer in its Lagos office to support legal functions across our business units. Reporting to the Company Secretary and Legal Adviser, the Legal Officer will work closely with various business units in negotiating, drafting, and advising on commercial contracts, providing structural advice, monitoring compliance, managing disputes and litigation with external counsel, liaising with regulatory authorities, particularly the Securities and Exchange Commission, engaging with different stakeholders and advising on various other legal matters that arise in the course of our operations.
- Negotiate, review, and advise on a range of legal and capital market documents including prospectus, trust deed, term sheet, advisory services agreement, non-disclosure agreements and various other agreements.
- Support the company secretary in all company secretarial matters including conducting board meetings and statutory fillings.
- Liaise with relevant departments to identify legal risks in transactions and company processes and advise on risk mitigants.
- Identify areas where policies and procedures of the company could be modified and undertake periodic reviews and revision of policies for continuous relevance to changing realities.
- Develop, implement and advise on the interpretation and application of relevant laws, regulations and policies to ensure compliance with legal and statutory requirements.
- Create and support a culture of compliance within the organization by creating awareness (including delivering trainings) among members of the Board, Business partners, employees and other key stakeholders.
- Execute and articulate the company’s corporate governance strategy and ensure that it is embedded in all board and business process by developing advising on and re-enforcing good corporate governance standards.
- Interface with key stakeholders including financial regulators, self-regulating organisations, trustees, issuing houses, securities exchanges, and capital market trade groups.
- Graduate of Nigeria Law School.
- Minimum of 5+ years of post-call experience.
- Familiarity with the areas of capital market, compliance, corporate governance, and general corporate law.
- Demonstrated experience or certification in Islamic finance will be an added advantage.
- Experience negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements.
- Demonstrated experience in providing strategic advice and thriving in a dynamic environment.
- Strong team player with demonstrated experience in multi-faceted transactions.
- Demonstrated organizational skills to prioritize workload in a time-sensitive environment.
- Ability to understand and evaluate commercial risks, opportunities, and exposures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Motivated by new challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
For More Information: LEGAL AND COMPLIANCE OFFICER