Nigerian pepper soup is a spicy and flavourful soup that is popular in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa. It is typically made with a variety of meats, fish, or chicken, and a blend of spices and herbs that give it its unique taste. If you’re looking to make Nigerian pepper soup at home, here are the steps to follow:
- 2 pounds of assorted meat (goat, beef, or chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of pepper soup spice
- 2 habanero peppers, chopped
- 2 cups of chicken or beef stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Fresh herbs (scent leaves or basil) for garnish
Wash the meat and cut it into bite-size pieces. Season with salt and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and sauté for an additional minute.
Add the seasoned meat to the pot and cook until it browns on all sides.
Add the pepper soup spice and habanero peppers to the pot and stir to combine.
Pour in the chicken or beef stock, cover the pot, and let the pepper soup simmer for about 30-45 minutes until the meat is tender.
Adjust the seasoning to taste and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
Serve hot in bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.
- If you can’t find pepper soup spice in your local store, you can make your own by combining a mix of ground spices such as cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and paprika.
- You can use any type of meat that you prefer, but goat meat is the most commonly used meat in Nigerian pepper soup.
- Adjust the amount of habanero peppers according to your preference for heat. If you prefer less spicy, you can use only one habanero pepper or omit it altogether.
- You can also add vegetables such as carrots or potatoes to the soup for more texture and flavour.
Nigerian pepper soup is a delicious and spicy soup that is easy to make at home. With the right combination of spices and herbs, you can recreate the flavours of Nigeria in your own kitchen. Just follow the steps above and enjoy the delicious taste of Nigerian pepper soup.